Friday, March 27, 2009

big picture

Christian culture: What parts of it are holy and what parts of it are man-made?

Falling in love with Jesus was and is amazing. The sky didn't crack open. There weren't any angels doing the electric slide. But committing my life to Jesus would change me forever: after seeing how awesome He was, there has never been anything that has come close to his goodness in my life. He loves me, encourages me, comforts me in my depression, and strengthens me to have self-control instead of want. When I realized how much Jesus meant to me, I knew that he was would forever be my first love and that his word would reign supreme over that of any man's word in my life.

For this reason, we must inevitably find ourselves asking "why do I do the Christian things that I do? Do we apply patterns in christian lifestyle because it is holy or because it seems holy?"

not to say that these "Christian things" or other parts of Christian culture are bad. Indeed, many of them purport strong discipleship and growth. however, things that seem biblical may not actually be biblical; what may start as a good intention, without biblical roots, can be cancerous to our relationship with Him. We may end up doing things for reasons that we do not even know; we may be taking the words of man in place of God's.

Why do we follow specifications for the sabbath? do we feel guilty when we worship on a day other than Sunday? do we freak out when we worship with friends at home instead of a building? if so, why?

"Have you never read what David did, when he was in need and was hungry, he and those who were with him: how he entered the house of God, in the time of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the bread of the Presence, which it is not lawful for any but the priests to eat, and also gave it to those who were with him? The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath."


We obey to demonstrate that he is Lord. He is not Lord because we demonstrate.

No comments: