Wednesday, April 15, 2009

do more

A Christian boy since the age of fifteen, you'd think I’d know better.
after all I’ve seen, I’ve still a lot of growing to do
until I can fill in the space in my Father's shoe

I might have written a verse or two
About all the lovey things I’d like to do
Hypocrisy! Yuck, but it’s true.
I’ve yet to find rhythm in what I must

There may be some swag dripping off the splash in my diction
But the friction of conviction re-minds my mind to remind me I must obey
It’s the ghost of a hope in an evil day

You see, I’ve done a lot of learning to love people in clever ways
but talking’s made my walking
lazy.
Though love is described as both a verb and a word,
it remains - at best - just an idea you've heard.

That is, until you do it.
Then it’s like magic,
Though there’s no trick

Am I:
In a cage?
Staring helplessly?
Longing for a chance to show my brother love?
No. debt paid and cage-less, I am a free man.
A free. laaaaazy. man.

Fat and gluttoned off grace,
I’ve dropped the baton during the race
set up camp on the side of the road
and enjoyed the embrace of the destructive broad.

“What is love?”
You can read about it in a book
You can talk about it ‘til your throat runs dry
You can even pull your head back and gaze into the sky
BUT keep in mind –
time is ticking
motivation is fleeting
You’ll never learn to swim ‘til you jump in

It isn’t love until you do it. It really isn’t.

I’m poor!
though my wallets packs a few bills,
these sermons sound good but they can’t fulfill spiritual thrills.
There’s more to life than Sundays,
God plans to end my life with a bang, not a sigh.
And for that? I’d gladly give it to him
than to half-ass another hymn.

Though I’m not old, my heart is bold
Though I have fl aws I won’t give pause
I’m selling my gold to hold. More.

I’m heading into the darkest part of town to plant some life 
with seeds from heaven
Cause the hungry ones are the most ignored
Little do they know, theirs is the Lord’s reward.

I should stop writing. I’m off to fill in some shoes.

3 comments:

johnny said...

Brian DUDE! You are amazingly talented at writing rap lyrics! THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

Anonymous said...

I LIKE THIS

Annie KoKo said...

haha i just read this...
:)